Sunday, May 27, 2007

Amanda's Been Home One Month

Today marks one month that Amanda has been home. She has been in our hearts since December 29, 2006 when we found out she would become our daughter. We can't put into words how wonderful it is to have something warm to touch and hold after 4 months of waiting. She has brought so much joy to our family it is indescribable.

Amanda has developed so much since she has been home. She can now sit up independently, she has cut her two bottom teeth, both on the same day. She is trying really, really hard to crawl. She can get herself up on her knees and hands, then becomes frustrated because she has not quite figured out what to do next. She rolls like crazy across the floor. Amanda especially likes to try and sneak up on unsuspecting kitty cats while they are napping.

She is full of smiles most of the time. I love walking into her room in the mornings and and after naps to see her beautiful face smiling up at me. It truly melts your heart. As much as her smile brings joy to us, we know she enjoys us smiling back at her. Amanda has made great eye contact and from day one, and she has never tried to push away from us in confusion or fear. She knows our voices, and will turn towards our voice if she's with someone else across the room. Amanda also loves to be held, and to be outside with the wind blowing in her face.

Micah's last day of school was this past Thursday! YAY! Summer has begun!!! We can not believe that he is a third grader now. Micah is still excited about becoming a big brother, and he loves his little sister very much. He loves to make her laugh by playing peek-a-boo or just acting plain silly. Micah's been reading to Amanda every night which she seems to enjoy, and by him doing this helps him work on his fluency. She will sit in his lap contently looking at the pages of the book, then up at him and give him a great big smile. The two of them have built this incredible bond and as parents we could not be more proud.

Before Amanda came home I was a bit worried about how Micah was going to feel, and nervous that our relationship would change in a big way. When discussing this fear to my prayer group, my friend Theresa told me that the best gift I could ever give to Micah is a sibling. My, how true her comment has become! Our relationship as Mother and son has only grown stronger, and his instantaneous love for Amanda has been so pure and so sweet.

I've said this before, but while preparing for Amanda's arrival we prepared for the worst and hoped for the best. She is even more amazing than anything we could of ever dreamed up. We know that this has only become possible by the thousands of prayers we've prayed, along with our wonderful friends and family who have prayed along side us. God has been faithful to answer each prayer, and we know that her adjustment is a testament of those prayers. So we would like to thank everyone who was so diligent in prayer for our family.

~ I pray that our faith together will help you know all the good things you have through Christ Jesus. Philemon 1:6 (NLV)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
I can't say enough how very happy I am for you!!! I may not comment on your blogs, but I do look forward to reading them every week!! And I am commenting on this blog to tell you how beautiful all of your blogs are, they are filled with so much love, (I some times cry) hehe! It's almost like reading a book!
I wish you and your family all the best in your lifes together!!! Congratulations!!

Kandice