Friday, May 09, 2008

The non-mom mom... WHAT???

***EDITED TO ADD***

When viewing the link to the contest (mentiond below) the category now states "The Adopting Mom". After much pressure from families on the forum I frequent (and I'm sure hundreds to thousands of many others outside of our little forum as well), let NBC know that grandmothers, step mothers and mother's of adopted children are not Non-mom moms. I'm happy they changed their wording, but I'm still not hot on the whole idea of categorizing mothers in the first place. I'm hoping to watch the Today show (if I have the chance) tomorrow and on Sunday (when they announce the winners), to see if NBC will apologize to all of us 'Non-moms' and to our 'Non-children' for their orignal, idiotic choice of wording. Grrr!!!


***MY ORIGNAL POST***

It was just brought to my attention on a adoption forum I frequent, that NBC considers many people (including myself) a Non-Mom. The Today Show is having a Mother's Day contest and they have selected different categories for people to enter. This is strait off their website


The non-mom mom
Grandparent, step mom, or mom to adopted children, each one raising and loving a child. A priceless gift for everybody.


The contest has other categories such as Military Moms, Single Moms, Working Moms and SAHM. To me all of the above are MOMS! Why categories them? As if there is not enough tension between SAHM's, single and working mom's. Why continue the division??? In a whole MOST MOM'S (and Dad's as well) are doing the best they can!

Another thing that completely irritates me is the way NBC quotes some of the Mom's stories.

Jennifer Keller
Home, KS
She was an adopted child who is now mom to her own daughter, plus six adopted children who started life as "meth babies".


Why can't NBC say this women has 7 children? Why say this woman has "her own daughter,plus six adopted children"? I mean seriously... do parents honestly think they "own" their children? Do parents see their children as a commodity? Something to acquire? To collect? To trade? Who cares that this woman has one biological child and the other 6 were adopted. She is parenting all seven of them with a open heart and open mind.

Most adoptive parents will agree with me that they don't adopt to "save" their children, or adopt to wear some badge of honor. Not all adoptive parents are infertile either. Some can very well get pregnant, but they choose to adopt. It's the way that GOD has built and/or is building their family!!! You don't accidentally adopt (like many people claim they 'accidentally' get pregnant). Come on if you're a willing participant and doing the deed... there is the possibility you will conceive a child. And I'm not trying to say that adoptive parents 'wanted' their children more than biological parents wanted their children either. I'm just sick of the division society makes of the two. (i.e. this non-mom mom malarkey).

I'm a mother to both a biological child and a adopted child. The love is no different. There is no division for the love I feel for each child. I don't put my role of parenting my children into two different categories. I don't "own" one of my children and have the other child on lend. Sounds ludicrous... Right?

As one person on my adoptive forum put it... "If you are called mom- then you are a mom."

Another person on the forum looked up the definition of Mother and found this.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
moth·er1 Audio Help /ˈmʌðər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[muhth-er] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a female parent.
2. (often initial capital letter) one's female parent.
3. a mother-in-law, stepmother, or adoptive mother.
4. a term of address for a female parent or a woman having or regarded as having the status, function, or authority of a female parent.


Adoptive mom's, step mom's, grandmothers, foster mother's, birth mother's, SAHM, working Mom's etc.... DON'T ALLOW NBC TO CATEGORISE YOU. WE ARE ALL MOMS!!!

Shame on you NBC! Shame on you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Nancy!!!

Maggie

Anonymous said...

Don't you just want to bop NBC folks on the head for that one?! Incredible that we are supposed to consider them a reliable news source when they can't even get the smallest facts straight!!!!