Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sweet Memories From My Garden

I have a passion for flowers and many of my favorites come from fond memories of my childhood. Currently blooming in my garden are two of my favorite flowers, with sweet memories to go along with them.

First is the gardenia. I love the spicy, yet sweet fragrance of this flower. The scent reminds me of my Grandma. I remember the walkway up to her front door was lined with gardenia bushes. My grandmother loved to garden and I think I inherited this labor of love from her.




Next is the Hydrangea. This flower reminds me of one of the houses we lived in, in Arcadia, CA. In the front yard there was a gigantic hydrangea bush, that would produce blooms larger than my head. I use to call the large shrub 'the wedding bouquet' plant. As a six year old child at the time... the flowers resembled a bouquet that a bride would carry on her wedding day. My sister and I would pick off the large blooms and practice our wedding marches up and down the driveway all afternoon long. If some unsuspecting, young man would happen to pass by, we would drag the poor boy over to our house and perform mock wedding ceremonies. Some boys would stay and play along, while others would run away as fast as they possibly could! Mmm... wonder why?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remeber that....poor boys...I wont use their names because its not fair to them:..I loved that house....I remeber Dad having a veggie garden and picking fresh carrots and giving them to my goat...She was such a sweet goat..But I think that was the spanish house....
well off to the unemployment office...Id rather have a root canal..they are always so mean and not helpful at all....Maggie

Nancy said...

Maggie,

It's not that house. The house where we had the goats was on Santa Anita. The house I'm talking about was over by First Avanue. I think it was gray, with a long driveway, and the garage was turned into a backhouse. Do you remember? Gosh... we moved so much I can barely remember the chronicle order of where we lived and when. ;0)

Magwheels said...

Nancy,
I think we lived in 10 different houses and went to 15 different school in 18 years....I remeber the house on Dains,Rockfeild and the house near ACC..The gray house was near holy angels and that is where mom had that women and her kid living in the back house.Plus the spanish house...I was little but I remember the bathroom and the summer porch.That was a great house.....:)

Anonymous said...

I HATE gardening (thank You, Lord for Colorado natural landscaping!), but I LOVE gardenias, they remind me of my grampa. I have tried to grow them to no avail. Yours are BEAUTIFUL!